Wednesday 21 October 2020

 Why Am I Doing This?

The Why(s) of Taking a Course for Content Creators

 

  When you're sitting in front of the camera, or starting to draft a presentation for your next video, you often wonder, what can I do to make this one as beautiful, as useful, as instructional as possible? What can I do to make my viewers -so far, mostly students of mine- enjoy learning something from my video, make them want to come back? Most importantly, how do I break down and illustrate my points in such a way that the weakest ones can get it while the strongest yet find a challenge and entertainment while learning those things they didn't know. Plus, you wonder how you can optimise your work flow: spending less time and effort to achieve more.

  When you've  got a few videos published, are reasonably comfortable with editing, cutting and mixing, you start asking yourself, how can I use, not only my videos, but my new skills in class? Can't I, like, make a project out of this? Use what I know to teach my kids public speaking, audiovisual design, summarising and, of course, English through making videos?

  That's essentially what I expect to learn in this course: to make better videos with less effort (and, consequently, get more people to watch them), and to find ways to get my students moving making their own videos, learning through creating. 

 

  A
s for the first point, I know for a fact that the tools I'm using, especially KDEnlive, have a number of functions I haven't even started to gauge. Colour correction, for instance, is something I'm utterly ignorant of. And, not to put too fine a point on it, I do tend to take way too much time to create the presentations I base my videos on. 

  The second point has a number of legal implications -data protection is essential for anyone, but if you're dealing with underage students ... let's just say 'compound interest' is a weak word. But teaching them how to make and edit their own videos without ending up doing them yourself while motivating them through having them have a good time, now that's a challenge I can appreciate -and I know that if I get it right, so will they. 

  I already mentioned legal matters above, in the context of videos made by, perhaps featuring, minors. But that's not all there is to it: licensing and copyright are major issues. Now I don't actually want to make money out of my videos, which I mainly make for use in interactive packages licensed under CC-BY-SA. The videos themselves, so far, have been released under the Standard YouTube License, simply because (mea culpa) I never bothered to actually read that one. But using images and music made by others in my own creations may have unintended side effects, and I guess I'll need some legal advice there.

  So, that's basically it for now: I'd like to learn how to make better videos, how to use audiovisual creation in class projects, and whatever I need to know about the ensuing legal matters. Plus, I want to have fun with this course.


No comments:

Post a Comment